6/10/10

Patience




Good Evening all


What a beautiful evening it is. The sun is setting , a cool breeze is coming in the window and I am so happy to just be sitting here enjoying it! I wish I could have said that a while ago when i sat in traffic....I was enjoying it at first but man it seemed like it just was never going to end. I usually run into traffic on RT 287 between exit 10 to right after exit 1 and then I get on the parkway and usually don't hit any till exit 100, but tonight there was an accident on exit 1 and 287 so I was in traffic from exit 18 all the way to the parkway and when i got on the parkway there was traffic almost all the way home. It usually takes me 2 hours from Parsippany to Whiting, but it took me 3 and half hours to get home today. SO anyways I am sitting in traffic listening to music, singing ( the windows were closed so no one heard me lol and chair dancing , when all of a sudden this young kid cut me off, well I lost my patience with him as he kept weaving in and out of traffic, then i remember the days when i was young and did that very thing ( OK I have done it later in life to lol ) Then my pain level was shooting up as I was driving and I was so tired I had trouble keeping myself awake. SO I remembered what Pastor Dave mentioned Sunday during his sermon about patience and I laughed to myself. Also I  listened to a Sermon by Rev. John Goodhart "Forbearing One Another" on the way to my parents and realized I should pray for some patience. It worked of course, like usually does when i ask God to help me. So when i got home I did a little study on it and here is what I found;
   In the dictionary, "patience" has several meanings: 1) bearing pains or trials calmly and without complaining, 2) not being hasty or impetuous, 3) being steadfast despite opposition or adversity, and 4) showing forbearance under provacation or strain. We often think of patience (or being patient) as something benign (meaning #2), but the dictionary definitions and Bible imply that pain, trials, adversity, and strain may also be involved (James 1:2-4, 1 Peter 2:20, Romans 5:3-4, 12:12).
"Patience" is a strong determination of will, to victoriously overcome the negative things we confront, according to God's will.


Paul tells us to put on a heart of patience. "So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience" (Col. 3:12).


Patience is just one part of the "heart" we put on as Christians. But the point I want to make is that we must put it on. Patience is a deliberate and willful attitude, resulting in several godly behaviors.


How Do We Put On a Heart of Patience?


Paul tells us how to obtain the strength to be patient.

". . . we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously"  Col. 1:9-11 NASB

In a nutshell, we go to God's word, understand it, and apply it to our lives with all spiritual wisdom. As a result, God's word performs its work in us, and we're empowered to be patient in whatever circumstances we live. 1 Thessalonians 2:13
Furthermore, notice Paul's example of praying for strength ,"strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy;..Col. 1:11 NKJV
We humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God, casting all our anxiety on Him, because He cares for us (1 Pet. 5:6-7). Then we patiently endure as we trust in God, who is in control of all things.
"Patience" is necessary to be tolerant of one another, which is necessary to maintain unity
(
Eph. 4:1-6). Although we do not tolerate sin, we must be tolerant of one another to cooperate as brethren, and do the Lord's work.

 


OK I think that's all for now. It is getting late and I want to go play my games before bed.
I do have to say over the past 6 years I have trusted in God more and had more patience, its that sometimes I fall short and act out instead of thinking first and praying to God for help. We have such an amazing, awesome God!

Good night , God Bless
Peace, Hugs and Love Donna





No comments: